Moorfields Private is a division of London’s Moorfields Eye Hospital, the largest specialist eye hospital in the world. Moorfield’s Eye Hospital was founded in 1805, and Moorfields Private is governed by the NHS but the patients are fee-paying. Any profits are used to fund the treatment of NHS patients at Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
Moorfields Private has gained a good reputation for its comprehensive services, including surgeon-led consultations and aftercare treatment and its dedicated staff. It also has comfortable private facilities all over London: The John Saunders Suite on Bath Street, The Cumberledge Wing on City Street, The Arthur Steele Unit on Upper Wimpole Street, and The Richard Desmond Children’s eye clinic, which is a dedicated children’s hospital within a hospital.
Moorfields Private is known for offering more than 100 ophthalmic treatments to its patients. Its surgeons offer a wide range of laser eye procedures aside from LASIK and LASEK:
- Laser cataract surgery: In this procedure, a femtosecond laser is used to cut the templates for the surgery before lens implantation, saving time and energy compared conventional cataract surgery.
- Refractive lens exchange (RLE): This is performed using femtosecond laser to correct the patient’s prescription by replacing the eye’s natural lens with an intraocular lens, rendering a sharper focus.
- Implantable contact lens (ICL): ICLs are soft, flexible lenses which are similar to contact lenses but are implanted within the eye, between the natural lens and the iris.
- Bioptics: This procedure for patients with very high prescription combines laser treatment and lens implantation to correct vision.
Moorfields Private’s consultants also treat macular degeneration, blepharitis, diabetic retinopathy, dry eyes, uveitis, watering eyes, floaters and glaucoma, eye squints and a variety of children’s eye conditions.
The prices for surgery are inclusive of any additional consultations or treatments.
- Initial Consultation: £150-£200
- Follow-up consultation: £125-£200
Procedures (per eye)
- Laser Eye Surgery: £2,000-£2,500
- Refractive Lens Exchange: £3,000-£4,000
- ICL: £3,000-£4,000
- Laser Cataract Surgery: £3,000-£4,000
- Bioptics: £4,000-£5,000
Moorfields Eye Hospital boasts of consultants with a wide range of experience and ophthalmic medicine skills. Many of them are renowned pioneers in the field of laser eye surgery. Among these consultants are Mr David Gartry, Miss Valerie Saw and Mr Romesh Angunawela.
Moorfields Private is a consistent recipient of praise from patients who say they received superb care from the surgeons and the staff. They are also happy with the aftercare services of the clinic, and most have said that they’re happy to recommend it to their friends and families.