Ms Valerie Saw is a full-time consultant ophthalmic surgeon at Moorfields Eye Hospital, and does her consultations at the clinic’s Arthur Steele Unit. Her area of expertise includes laser refractive surgery, cataract surgery and lens implantation, as well as corneal transplantation.
In 1997, she qualified in medicine with a degree from the University of Sydney, where she received the University Medal for coming first place on the Honours list. She then underwent her specialist training in ophthalmology at the Sydney Eye Hospital and advanced training in Medical and Surgical Management of Complicated Cornea and External Eye Disease during a four-and-a-half-year Corneal Fellowship at Moorfields Eye Hospital, concurrent with her PhD thesis at the Institute of Ophthalmology in Conjunctival Scarring in Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid, which received the Research Medal awards at Moorfields and an Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) travel grant.
She joined Moorfields Eye Hospital as a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon in 2004. In 2009, while serving at Moorfields, she was appointed Visiting Consultant to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney.
Ms Saw is currently an Honorary Senior Lecturer at University College London (UCL) and the Institute of Ophthalmology. She is also involved in laboratory, clinical and epidemiological research on conjunctival scarring, mucous membrane pemphigoid and other inflammatory and infectious external eye diseases. She is interested in new techniques of corneal transplant surgery and outcomes of refractive and intraocular lens surgery. In addition, she did ophthalmic aid work and was a teacher in Burma from 2004 to 2005.
Her areas of expertise includes the following:
- Wavefront laser refractive surgery for long- and short-sightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia (femtosecond LASIK, LASEK, PRK)
- Cataract surgery using standard, toric and multifocal lenses
- Lens implant surgery including implantable contact lenses (ICLs)
- Corneal grafts including DSAEK (deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty for keratoconus) and femtosecond laser corneal transplantation
- Keratoconus surgery including collagen cross-linking and kerarings/intacs
- Contact lens-related eye conditions
View other surgeons in our section on top laser eye surgeons